19 August, 2012

Welcomed at Cafe Muggel

The Cafe Muggel in Oberkassel, Duesseldorf is one of the first places I got to know well when I came to Germany.  I did not feel welcome with a baby in other cafes or restaurants.  My habit was to give my baby her lunch and then let her take her nap while out for a walk.  Once she was asleep the idea was that I could have a cup of tea and relax if only for a few minutes.  Waiters and managers as well as patrons often associate a baby with noise and smell, instead of associating the mother of the baby with a desperate need of TLC (tender, loving care).

The staff at the Muggel have, through the years, consistently been kind, attentive and patient.  All kinds of people come here at all hours with and without children to relax.  It is fantastic that they open at 8:30 instead of 10:00 because sometimes an hour or two in the morning before everything else like banks or shops open is all I have to sit with a coffee.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served and there is a bar.  I personally like breakfast and lunch best but I've enjoyed myself at midnight as well (without a baby).  Another fun bit is that they have a small movie theater downstairs called the 'Souterrain'.  They present independent or small films from all over the planet.  Look for the 'OmU' if you wish to see it in original version.

Cafe Muggel | Dominikanerstr. 4 | 40545 Düsseldorf | +49 211 554182

No comments:

Post a Comment