05 August, 2012

Introducing, A foreign foreigner

Introduction

There are many books and blogs about being a stranger in a strange land. So why another one? Because I like reading and writing and as a foreign foreigner I hope my points of view are perhaps a little less biased. You see, I have no "home" to compare "here" to. I did not live in my native country long enough to form an attachment. In fact, I have not lived anywhere long enough to form any attachments.  For people with strong roots this can be confusing; "You must belong somewhere!"

This blog is about being a stranger who is most comfortable being a stranger.  Everyone who hears me speak asks where I am from.  Good question, do you mean where did I live last or what does it say on the passport.  Funny enough when I go back to my native country people ask me where I am from...

So whatever I experience has no home to compare it to, only my previous experiences without nostalgia or home sickness.  This is not a disadvantage.  I do know where my favorite pie is, a diner in New York; my favorite Mexican food is chiles rellenos cooked by Lucrecia in Mexico City; my favorite ale is Doombar at any good pub in London; my favorite book shop is Hatchard's on Picadilly; my favorite vacation is almost anywhere new.  So where do I belong?  .... with my family who are also foreigners in foreign lands.  

2 comments:

  1. hi miriam,
    found you again lol.
    i have the oposite background. except for a few duty stations when i was in the usaf, i have lived in just 2 states in the usa my whole life. i did have 2 TDY's (temporary duty) in italy while in the air force.
    i have deep roots where i live now - 52 years out of 61 here. my roots are comfortable to me but. i think i could live happily anywhere as long as i could visit family regularly.
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to envy the comfort you must feel, but honestly I like my freedom. My husband's family is very similar to yours, and to them in spite of their love, I am very strange indeed. They do not understand why I do not want what they have. I cannot explain it myself, but the stories I have, the people I've met and the adventures I've lived are irreplaceable. Ask my mom sometime about driving through volcanic explosions...

    ReplyDelete