27 August, 2012

Coffee and cakes at Pâtisserie Passion

A few days ago I had coffee at this lovely cafe.  Originally, I was carried there by a friend on a fact finding mission.  She needs dessert for a large party.  Just as we arrive her phone rings and she digs in for a conversation.  Well, after staring at chocolates and tarts and cakes for a few minutes my will caves in and I sit at a table.  In a fit of deviousness, I order two coffees in the hope that she will have no choice but to sit and enjoy a cake with me.  In spite of my obvious chocoholic tendencies I have not been idle.  I spoke to the lovely waitress and informed her of our mission.

At last my friend came to the table, apologized with the only apology that is acceptable when it comes to being ignored for a phone "It was my husband".  As an aside, I have often noticed that when my lady friends call their husbands the calls are invariably short and to the point... he has no time to speak to her.  On the other hand, if he should call he expects her to be available to listen and take notes as he often calls because he needs something. These men assume that the wife is sitting by the phone waiting to be of service.  They are generally nice men, but the sense of entitlement to their wive's time sometimes irks me.  Anyway, we sat to enjoy ourselves.

It was a pleasant surprise when not one but both owners asked to sit with us and answer our questions.  As far as service goes, I was impressed.  These young ladies knew their own business and cakes well.  They were informative and friendly.  The cakes and coffees we tasted were delicious.  They cater but can also hold parties on their premises.  In short, I plan to go back, maybe for their breakfast  On the menu it looked good.


Pâtisserie Passion |
Kaiserstraße 34a, 40479 Düsseldorf | +49 211 178 35563 |  www.patisseriepassion.de

2 comments:

  1. hi miriam,
    if i ever get to germany, i will get your recommendations for places to visit and the best places to eat.
    as for the inconsiderate husbands on the phone you mentioned - you can use stronger than "irk". "pissed off" seems to have become an acceptable phrase. maybe a little crude in an intellectual piece of writing. but i can't speak politely of men who mistreat women in any manner, even in a seemingly inconsequential abruptness. ok, off my soapbox. lol
    keep blogging,
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are too many mysteries in people's marriages to judge too harshly but I am lucky. If I am busy I say so and BPR tries again later... of course this goes both ways.

    As for visiting, come on down... should be fun.

    ReplyDelete